Causes

Juticalpa Community Water Project

$0.00 donated
0 Donors

Roatan Island, Honduras – Juticalpa Community Water Project
Located in Honduras, on the island of Roatan in the western Caribbean Sea, the community of Juticalpa needs a water system. This impoverished community has 150 homes and 750 residents. There is a kindergarten and a public school with grades 1-9. There are also four churches in the community.

Area of Focus: Water and Sanitation
Juticalpa was founded in the 1800’s as a farming community. Today, most residents are poor and work in tourism, construction, or in fishing.

The community has one water well which serves 60% of the hones on a limited basis. The other 40% of the community has no access to water. Residents pay for trucks to deliver water to their homes.

This project will drill a second solar powered well in the community and build a water distribution system to connect each home to the water system. WASH training is also an important part of this project.

A community water board has already been established and residents have agreed to pay $10 US Dollars per month for water and to create a reserve fund to keep this project sustainable.

In addition, the community has agreed to provide the labor to construct the water distribution system. This will also be an opportunity for Rotarians who are interested physically working on a project to get involved. The Rotary Club of Roatan would love to host you.

Project Timeline: March 2021 to May 2021
Project Budget: $66,000 US Dollars

Other Clubs Committed:
The Rotary Club of Fairlawn-Sunrise, New Jersey
The Rotary Club of Chico-Sunrise, California

We need to raise $58,500 in cash or $29,250 of DDF funding or any combination of funding that funds the project.

Thank you for your consideration and we would love to have your as a project partner with us in Honduras.

 

Post a comment

I accept the Privacy Policy